Striving for export of US $ 100 billion in the textile and apparel industry by 2030 is the orientation of Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc at the 20th anniversary of the establishment of the Vietnam Textile and Apparel Association (VITAS), December 13 afternoon.
According to the Prime Minister, the Vietnam Textile and Apparel Association has contributed to the development of the textile and apparel industry, actively and actively consulted policies, especially in the negotiation of free trade agreements such as the Comprehensive and Progressive Trans-Pacific Partnership.
Firstly, they need to pay more attention to the market of nearly 100 million people in the country. This is the direction of sustainable development for the textile industry.
Secondly, the textile industry still lacks autonomy in terms of raw materials, mainly producing yarn and processing products. Currently, 60% of fiber materials are imported. Vietnam has not mastered and developed production stages such as dyeing, manufacturing high-quality fabrics, high-quality materials, and accessories. That is the reason why the added value is not high.
Thirdly, the structure of export products is quite different in terms of apparel with turnover accounting for 78% of the total turnover of the whole industry, reaching 28/36 billion USD of exports in 2018, while yarns accounted for more than 8%, cloth accounted for nearly 3%, while sewing accessories accounted for under 10%.
Fourthly, the sector labor structure is limited. By the end of 2018, out of nearly 3 million workers working in 7,000 textile enterprises across the country, only 25% were workers with professional training, and the remaining 75% of workers were untrained, most of whom are people who have just finished lower secondary school, high school, while 17% of whom only went to primary school.
Fifth, the competitive advantage of cheap labor, which is the long-term competitive advantage of the textile industry, is losing. Therefore, the Prime Minister questioned what the textile and apparel industry will have to do next year to raise itself up the economic value chain to continue to maintain its position as the world's textile and garment powerhouse.
Sixthly, the development of the Party in Vietnamese textile enterprises is showing some inadequacies. The number of foreign-invested enterprises accounts for more than 70% of enterprises in Vietnam's textile and garment industry, there is some risk of white party organizations in this enterprise. The main task of the Association is to overcome this situation.
Regarding the orientation of a number of tasks in the coming time, the Prime Minister stated that it is necessary to create product brands and enterprise brands of the world and regional level, bringing long-term benefits to the country and the future generations. By 2030, we must strive to export 100 billion USD of textiles and apparel.
The Prime Minister suggested, strive to have at least 30 brands of the textile and apparel industry contribute to the world market by 2030. At the same time, Vietnam textile and apparel must be ranked among the top of the world. Therefore, it is necessary to have a spirit of self-improvement and must aim for sustainable and prosperous development.
The association needs to continue to play a good role in connecting businesses, forming high value-added chains, global value chains, organizing and coordinating activities among members for the common interests of the association, strictly complying with the principles and objectives, raising the professional capacity, participating in socio-economic development programs of the country.
The Prime Minister also noted that it is necessary to take the initiative in building human resources, training and fostering talents, promoting trade promotion, disseminating policies and laws, both successful and unsuccessful experiences. The association must also be a focal point to help businesses research the market and consumer tastes, especially researching new technologies, especially in the field of fabric and accessories production, improving productivity, efficiency, and production, while paying attention to environmental protection.
The Prime Minister affirmed that the Government always listened, supported, supported and also expected to receive many comments from the business community in the spirit of building a policy system of the State to create service and development.
Read also: Vietnam’s Textile Industry: Fail To Reach Target